Tuesday 4 November 2008

A year on.....

Well, I started this blog on the 22nd October 2007 with every intention of completing a novel in the year. This did not happen. "But why not?" I hear you cry. "You had all that time." Especially as I gave up work and became (for a few months at least) a 'full time writer' (otherwise known as unemployed!!)

I know. If it was me looking at someone else. I would have said "You lucky buggers. It'll be easy if you aren't working," and then "What did you do in the year then?"

I have already done a review of my life during the first 6 months - full of excuses, excuses, excuses - although I do think having a miscarriage and an operation to remove a cyst that did not go as planned are better than having a cold or not having the time..... I also completed my NVQ Teaching Assistant course and worked as a Teaching Assistant one day a week. Currently I am working 3 days a week for the library services (started full time 17th July, down to 3 days since 17th September). So, I am sticking with one of my favourite quotes: There is nothing wrong with failure. The real sin is not trying.

And the big excuse I am giving you today is the fact that I am 14 weeks pregnant. God that really is an excuse - what with morning sickness (horrendous for 2 weeks) and the tiredness (currently easing off) writing has had to be moved to the bottom of my list. Its enough making sure I go to work, eat well and keep the house and car and animals running smoothly. Although I am pleased to report I have kept (just about) up to date with my pregnancy blog - so I have managed to do some writing!!

So, what next?

Looking at my list of dates, competitions etc. I realise how long it has been since I have even thought about writing something. When I started this blog I took part in NaNoWriMo 2007 and managed 18,377 words. However, we are already 5 days in and I have not started. Although saying that I didn't complete all the 30 days last year so I could try the month backwards.....I have looked on the official site and some of the other participants seem to have got off to a slow start. Perhaps I might be able to catch them up!

I have received my first email bulletin with regards to the 2009 Debut Dagger - closing date: 7th February and I would love to enter something again this year. I don't know whether or not to abandon the novel I started in 2008. I have received mixed reactions about it and again I seem to have collected loads of paper and in reality not enough writing has been done. Lots of ideas, but nothing concrete. However, that would give me 3 started (and not finished) novels.

If I am going to start a new novel. I need to do it properly this time. Ideas / Synopsis / Timeline / Chapter by Chapter - then start and keep writing until the words The End appear before me. I know I have been guilty over the last year of aiming for perfection and what happens is that I can't get past the first few chapters as I am constantly checking and tweaking and therefore The End never even comes near.

Well, I am pleased with my little self tonight, as have finally managed to address the 'writing' pile and feel I have got somewhere. Perhaps the tiredness is finally easing off...

Off now to look for ideas......

No comments: