Monday 10 January 2011

Tanka Competition

In September I reported that I had entered 2 competitions in Writing Magazine. The February edition arrived today and it seems I didn't win either of them....

However, I was particularly proud of my entry for the Tanka competition and so I am including it below. The article described; 'most of the non-winners as suffering from one of these 3 problems: content that offered a slight description with no resonance to it; the tackling of a vast theme in general, abstract terms; and poor use of language, including weak, repetitive vocabulary and punctuation and grammar difficulties.'

My entry was:

Words left unspoken
Hang silently. Surrounding.
Waiting. In the wind.
For thunder to bring courage.
But who will make the first move?

The article went onto say; 'few entries were dismissed easily however, and nobody who entered needs to feel despondent.'

The winning entry was by Averil Farrar; Cry

You died so slowly
mosses grew between each crack
cushioning my grief.
Stemmed tears still wait, hang like leaves
having lost their strength to fall.

No comments: