Friday 9 October 2009

Manic Mums.....

Can't say I have done much writing recently. I am pleased with myself for at least reading a few books including one of fiction; The Other Hand by Chris Cleave (very good. Read it!). Although I didn't make the actual Book Club evening for which I was reading it for I was still pleased I had read it! I have also read both Writing Magazine and Writing News this month with Mslexia waiting for me this evening. Oh yes, and to maintain my commitment to writing I have already purchased next years Mslexia diary!!

So, the mind is willing but the flesh weak. Having a baby seriously interferes with life outside your little bundle of joy!! However, I recently bought a very good book which helps to put everything into perspective and I must try to remember some of the valuable advice when I get a bit 'manic' with regards to not accomplishing everything on my 'Must Do' list. Time Management for Manic Mums by Allison Mitchell, published by Hay House (2009), has some great points for any mum struggling to cope with the demands of a baby and a house, families and husbands etc. not to mention that burning desire to see your name in print - or at least a completed manuscript - and I have summarised some of the more relevant ones below:-
  • Time is precious. You have a tight budget of just 24 hours.
  • Ask yourself: is this the best use of my time now?
  • Unless you know what you want to do with your time, you’ll never find time to do it.
  • Break down jobs into smaller chunks – start the journey…
  • Reframe jobs i.e. cleaning party / space for something else / exercise!!
  • Don’t put it down. Put it away.
  • Remove distractions to the job in hand.
  • Define the actions needed to step towards your goals.
  • Look to the future – what happens if you do, what happens if you don’t?
  • Focus on what you want and not on what you don’t want.
  • We become what we think about.
  • Focus only on what is valuable to you.
  • It’s about choice and focus and priorities.
  • What future is your present creating for you?
  • Savour / enjoy every moment.

No comments: