Monday 14 June 2010

Brainstorming....

Well, I don't want to go and ruin it all by saying too much but I have started work on a new novel and it is something completely different from the crime novels I have surrounded myself with in recent years. Having a baby has made me want to steer away from all the nasty side of the world and I find myself less interested in all the TV I used to engross myself in. Life has become more playful since having Jamie and as such it seems so is my writing.

As coincidence would have it, the latest email from Anna at www.catalystonline.co.uk talks about the 5 stages of creativity. The first being Brainstorming. Although I have written the first page or so, I feel that this is the stage I am at and perhaps need to be at for a few weeks at least as I shift my whole focus away from Crime and towards my writing future.

Anna says:
What do I mean by brainstorming? I mean putting aside all preconceptions, any fixed ideas you have what it must/should/ought to look like and simply playing around with thoughts and ideas with no pressure on you to come up with the 'perfect' solution.

Play is an important element of the creative process, so when you brainstorm you get comfortable, you lay in all the supplies you might need whether that's your computer screen, large sheets of paper and coloured pens to make a mind map, or simply a notepad and pen. Find the place where your mind is most able to relax, play, and have fun.

Empty your mind, and just jot down the points as they come into your head - that could be a plot outline, a character, a place, even the sound or smell that brings back a powerful memory you want to incorporate into your work.

To help you with that you might want to write down these questions at the top of your pad, or on your computer screen, and let yourself think about the answers:
** What is it that you really want most to express?
** As you jot your ideas down, what gives you a little rush of energy or happiness?
** Who, ideally, you want to read your work - and what makes them the ideal reader?

No comments: