Saturday 3 July 2010

Is this what women really want?

Since I had that strike of inspiration and have started thinking about writing a Chick-Lit novel I have been amazed at how life accommodates you with possible ideas, events happening in mine (and others) lives, and of course the need to read more books.

A few weeks ago I spied a 'bestselling' Chick Lit novel being sold for 50p, and so I thought I had better use some of the nice weather - and Jamie's nap times - to do a bit of research into the genre.

Perhaps the 50p price tag should have warned me, but it was total tosh! I gave up at page 38; just as Chapter 5 started. I felt that the story was quite ordinary and I didn't really care about what happened next. I suppose I am used to crime novels, and a series of questions being posed in the first few pages which always get me hooked and reading. There was nothing to cling to in this novel and I am sad to say I gave up!

I think it was the characters themselves that bored me. And therefore I didn't care what happened to them next. I know this novel got published, but it wasn't the authors first. Perhaps it might have been their last.....

No comments: