Saturday 8 December 2012

It's Called Research!!

Following the wonderful non fiction workshop with Caroline, See: http://theonlyconsequence.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/non-fiction-workshop.html I have really been fired up with regards to writing some non fiction. 

As I said in that post, its all about the market, and for that reason on a recent shopping trip, I bought a few magazines.  Two of the magazines, I have previously had a subscription to - though admittedly it was a long time ago - but at least I have started my 'research'.

I also sent an email around work and put a message on facebook with regards to friends 'old' magazines.  This produced a small pile under the table which I have been steadily ploughing through.  As a lot of those magazines were homes and interiors magazines, they probably won't be the 'market' I will focus on just yet, but it is still interesting to look at what goes into these magazines.

What I have also discovered is, that while looking through some of the magazines, I have found inspiration for another of my planned goals this year - that of photography.  All the magazines devoted to a women's audience have lovely glossy adverts, and I have torn out a lot of these to use as 'inspiration' with my photography.

My plan now is to let Christmas come and go, and during this time concentrate on my photography, but also read, read, read these magazines and collect more wherever possible.

Then, after Christmas, think of a topic and a possible market - but this begs the question - which comes first - Topic or Market?

No comments: