Monday 18 January 2016

Operation Number 2

All was going well.  I managed to go to my mums for Christmas Day and attend the Post Christmas party I had organised for the children.  Then I started walking.....  The first time I went out (17 days post op) I cried all the way back and did 0.71 miles in 22 minutes.  On New Years Day I managed 2.24 miles in 30mins.

Then over the weekend, I put the Christmas decorations away.  I went into the loft, and perhaps I should not have....as on the 6th January 2016 (Wednesday) I attended my GP with severe pain down my leg (again).  I asked if she could re-refer me to the Lincoln LCATS to be seen, but she said that as I was still under Sheffield I would have to see them!  She did give me some Tramadol for the pain though. On the Thursday I realised that actually I had lost all sensation in my foot.  I could not move it at all. I began to panic....

Luckily, on the Friday I had an appointment with the Physio at the LCATS service.  She took one look at my leg and called in the Consultant who confirmed I had 'Drop Foot'.  He was very concerned and ran Sheffield to try and speak to my consultant there.  Unfortunately, he had finished for the day/week.  The consultant told me to go to A&E.  We waited 3 hours in A&E to be told to just 'wait and see'...... 

Consequently, I rang Sheffield on Monday morning (Jan 11th).  They were able to bring my appointment forward 4 days and I was seen that evening.  Mr Zaki took one look and then sent me off for an MRI.  This time it was a full size MRI (not a mobile one) and so it was legs first and a lot less claustrophobic!  The MRI showed a small recurrent sided L4/5 disc prolapse.  In his letter to my GP he was rather scathing of Lincoln A&E!  His letter goes on to say My biggest issue here is that there has already been a 3/4 day delay and the chances of recovery of her footdrop are becoming slimmer......I am just worried that her footdrop is not going to recover but I will make sure that she has her surgery expedited in the next 2/3 days.....I will list her for a recurrent left L4/5 discectomy. 

Operation Number 2 was 14th January 2016.  This time I was lucky enough to have a single room.  We assumed that I would be allowed to go home about the same time as the last operation; which was just before lunch.  However, I was given antibiotics via a cannula in my arm and told I would be having three lots - the last one at 10pm.  From then on, I told anyone who would listen that IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!

The Physiotherapist was really good.  As my foot drop still seemed quite bad, she brought me not only a splint for my leg, but also a picker upper - so I can't say I didn't get any presents!  I know she asked someone about my antibiotics and when Mr Zaki's registar came, I asked him as well.  He said he would have a word with Mr Zaki.  It seemed they had only prescribed the antibiotics as it was my second operation in 4 weeks. 

There were tears.... That seemed to do the trick.  Mr Zaki arrived.  He seemed happy with the movement in my leg / foot and was happy to let me go.  He even wished me a Happy Birthday!

No comments: