Saturday 10 February 2018

Don't Read The Hype!

Recently I made the mistake of choosing a book purely based on the reviews and ravings from other people.  The book was IQ by Joe Ide
Conan Doyle as channelled through Martin Scorsese says Stephen Hunter (author of  G-Man), nominated for the Edgar Award for Best First Novel, One of the best books of 2016 according to the New York Times.    Need I go on?

I liked the book.  I thought it was (trying to be) clever in parts, but I really think I would have thought more of it had I not read all the wonderful stuff about it before hand.  I was left feeling disappointed.  I wonder if I had just picked it up and started reading it whether I might have rated it higher than I do.

There is a sequel apparently - IQ is BACK! Sherlock Holmes meets The Wire in this fast-paced crime thriller from Edgar-shortlisted Joe Ide….        Should I try again?

No comments: