Monday 22 October 2007

The Only Consequence is what we Do!!

Today is the 22nd October. It is nine days since I handed in my notice at work and became a full time writer - or as some might say 'unemployed'.

What have I done in those nine days? Well, I call it preparation....

I have decided that in order to give myself a running start at this full time writing lark I will attempt to complete the Write a Novel in a Month Challenge (NaNoWriMo for short). Details at: http://www.nanowrimo.org/ The challenge runs every year from the 1st to the 30th November and the idea is to write 50,000 words of your novel - from scratch - during the month. That works out at 1667 words a day!! I figure if I can spend a month doing that many words a day with a deadline pushing me on, once the novel is written and the challenge over it will be easy to keep on writing...

I have actually not been working for about 3 months now, but until the 12th October I was signed off sick. The story of that episode is on my other Blog, but I can honestly say that I didn't feel very much like doing anything much until the beginning of October. Prior to that I had been doing a lot of reading so I suppose my time was not entirely wasted in terms of writing.

At the beginning of October I decided I was serious about this writing lark and gave myself 10 things to complete within a week. The list included sorting / cleaning a number of areas of my life, finishing a book review of Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn for the local paper (since published), organising notes taken on various topics, updating 'To Do' lists and finish reading a number of collected articles, books etc. These items were all ticked off except for 'Research the New Novel'. And then I found out about NaNoWriMo..... If anyone decides to join me, my profile is: JoBoz

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Whats up everybody, I just signed up on this wonderful forum and wished to say howdy! Have a impressive day!

Anonymous said...

hello


just signed up and wanted to say hello while I read through the posts


hopefully this is just what im looking for looks like i have a lot to read.