Sunday 2 December 2007

To live a creative life,

we must lose our fear of being wrong. Joseph Chilton Pearce.

This quote came from The Artists Way by Julia Cameron; which I read instead of writing this week....but the book certainly had a lot to say, such as; we squander our own creative energies by investing disproportionately in the lives, hopes, dreams and plans of others. Their lives have obscured and detoured our own.

The two main aids to creativeness Julia encourages are 'Morning Pages' and 'Artist Dates'. I have heard about morning pages before (Julia suggests doing 3 each morning) but I have always been a bit sceptical of their worth. I suppose I am concerned about the time they take and what I could be doing instead!! She says the stuff you write, is the stuff that stands between you and your creativity. I think I shall stick to my blog.... Artist Dates are time with yourself in the pursuit of creativity; whether going to a gallery, walking in the park. It should be a self-nourishing activity.

She also discusses the issue of control (something I am forever in pursuit of!) and her comment is; The creative process is a process of surrender, not control! Creativity requires faith, and faith requires we relinquish control! Leap and the net will appear!! Look for synchronicity in everything we do!!

1 comment:

Rod Duncan said...

I have been thinking about writing something on dyslexia for a long time. (I mean years!) Every time I thought about it, I could see too many possible ways of approaching the subject and couldn;t choose between them. On Friday I sat down and gave up 'control' and started writing. One hour and 1700 words later I decided that had been a good plan. I have no idea where it will lead. But perhaps that is the point.