Thursday 13 March 2008

FISH at the Drill Hall Lincoln

I have always liked Marillion (been to see them live a few times) and their album Clutching at Straws has always been top of my listening in the bath list! The album is both inspiring and yet at the same time intimidating, as the lyrics are sheer poetry and totally bloody brilliant!! There are too many to choose from, but here are a few of my favourite ones with a writing theme:

And the only sign of life is the ticking of the pen, Introducing characters to memories like old friends, Frantic as a cardiograph scratching out the lines, A fever of confession a catalogue of crime, in happy hour......

So if you want my address it's number one at the end of the bar, Where I sit with the broken angels clutching at straws and nursing our scars.

It's too late, I found, it's too far, I'm in two minds, Both of them are out of it at the bar, When you say I got a problem that's a certainty, But I can put it all right down to eccentricity, It's just for the record it's just a passing phase, Just for the record I can stop any day.

Sheer bloody poetry!! And the gig was fantastic. Thanks to Fish for putting up with Wetherspoons food (just) and the actions of an idiot - that was me, that was - but that's another story.....

No comments: