Wednesday 14 May 2008

Having a Break

Following my 6 months review and an operation I had a couple of weeks ago, I have decided to give myself a few weeks off stressing about the novel I have been trying to write for the last 6 months. Instead, I have been having a spring clean of sorts - both mentally and physically - in an attempt to re-tune myself to what is really important and where I want to be headed in the next 6 months.

Something I did over the weekend; while it was sunny and I was unable to do much more than lie on my back due to my scar, was to go through some old writing magazines from 2/3 years ago. I figured most of the information would be out of date by now so, after tearing out the more interesting and relevant pages, I put them where they belonged - in the re-cycle bin. What was left however, has been filed away or is waiting for me to decide what to do with the information. Some of it might even end up on the Blog.....

One article that struck a cord; which was written in May 2005 - was called Healthy mind, healthy body by Brendan Nolan in Writing Magazine. You can guess what it is about without really reading it, and following my operation it emphasized the need for me to become more healthy in my lifestyle for both my body and my minds sake!! His top tips were:
  • Quit Lazing around, drinking coffee, and get dressed.
  • Exercise mind and body to stay sane, healthy and profitable.
  • Remove isolation and try to connect with other human beings.
  • Create continuing relationships with writing peers.
  • Don't set goals that are unattainable.
  • To prevent burnout, suspend work and schedule some down-time.

No comments: