Sunday 11 January 2009

Writers and Artists Yearbook 2009

Thanks to Michael and Hannah for buying it for my Christmas Present.
Kate Mosse makes a few observations (rather than advice):

There are no tricks of the trade that work for everyone. Be a jackdaw. Take lots of advice, then figure out what suits you and stick with it. I plan, plot, research, first; then write last. I’m a lark not a nightingale, so prefer the early morning, alone at my desk with a cup of strong sweet coffee and the white glow of the computer screen. Others do late nights with a bottle of Glenmorangie or spend afternoons at their keyboard with tea and Marmite sandwiches. Be yourself.

Accept that writing is a job like any other. 5 minutes writing a day is better than no minutes. And it is hard work. When asked, towards the end of his life when he was the worlds acknowledged greatest living artist, Pablo Picasso was asked why he still went every day to his studio. His reply? ‘When inspiration arrives, I want it to find me working’. Some days are harder work than others.

In the end, that’s the only advice you need. Just write. Start now. And, if you’re lucky, the rest will follow.

No comments: