Tuesday 1 November 2011

An MA in Creative Writing?

A couple of years ago I enquired about the MA in Creative Writing at Lincoln University. I suppose I thought that if I joined the class it might make me a 'real' writer, as well as provide me with an MA which might shut a few people up!

At the time of enquiring the course fees were £4000 a year (full time) and I thought that was expensive! Since them I am sure the fees have risen and will continue to rise, so I was pleased to read a recent article in Mslexia (www.mslexia.co.uk/) Oct/Nov/Dec 2011 entitled; 'Are You Wasting Your Money?' The conclusion of the article (as I saw it) was a big YES!

Writing can be learned, but that doesn't necessarily mean it can be taught.
The only thing they (students) really need to become better writers is a library card.


So I shall spend my money on something else. Perhaps a specific Arvon course (www.arvonfoundation.org/) would be more suited to me. But first I need to get back to some 'serious' writing....

No comments: