Saturday 3 December 2011

An Unopened Present

Last year I sent all my writing contacts a poem (see: http://theonlyconsequence.blogspot.com/search?q=unopened&updated-max=2010-12-26T12%3A20%3A00Z&max-results=20 This year I have decided to publish it on my blog.

An unopened present.
For many years too painful
to sneak a peek. Now, with your arrival.
Demands to be opened.

Dust the cobwebs off the tree.
Empty the battered boxes.
A few broken ornaments tumble out like tears.
Fragile reminders of Christmas past.

A crisp crunch under our feet.
Wind reddening your cheeks.
A ruby robin arrives. Fresh footprints lead us,
from the past to the future.

Warming ourselves by the fire.
Memory breaks through the ice.
The departed spirit of Christmas no one sees.
Eyes glisten as candles flicker.

A twinkling tree transformed.
Little fingers wrestle.
Wrapping paper does battle. Eyes full of wonder.
Open to the magic.

Turkey. Enough for sharing.
Joy and laughter fill our home.
A Family at Christmas. ‘Just what I wanted’.
My heart unwrapped once more.

Joanne Borrill
December 2010

No comments: