Tuesday 3 April 2012

Poetry....Part 2

Took the poem (revamped) which I had taken to the Lindum Scribes (http://theonlyconsequence.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/poetry.html) to the Poison Pens group on Saturday. This week Richard was in the chair and he was good enough to give me enough time to share three of my poems. I read 'New Job', 'Funeral Poem' and the revamped poem which is currently called 'New Beginnings'. The group were a lot more poetry friendly and made some useful comments; including asking what New Beginnings was actually about! Following the first reading I had gone back and changed it considerably. This meant I had lost sight of the original meaning of the poem. One more go I think!!

Reaction was mixed to all three poems and, as usual, there was a lot of discussion with regards to punctuation etc. Everyone there agreed that 'New Job' was the best poem - except Barbara who liked 'Funeral Poem' the best. All three still have work to be done on them but I am happy with the reactions so far!
But it just goes to show; in the words of the poet John Lydgate (see: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/john-lydgate), later adapted by President Lincoln - and appearing in various permutations: “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

No comments: