Tuesday 22 May 2012

Confused? You will be!

Poetry! You either love it or hate it or don't understand it!

On Saturday I took a couple of re-worked poems to the (group I call) The Poison Pens.  Comments made were insightful but my head is still spinning as I don't know which way to turn with them.  I have rewritten both poems a couple of times and at each reading (Poison Pens and Lindum Scribes) different comments have been made.

I suppose I felt that some members were taking my poems too literally.  When I did poetry as part of my A Level English we read and re-read many famous poets - looking for the 'hidden' and 'double' meanings.  I like to think that my poems have many layers and can mean different things to different readers.  But do they?

I think the best course of action is to have a week or so away from these poems and come back with a fresh outlook.  Perhaps I will then see what everyone means, or perhaps decide that my own meanings are the only ones that matter.....

What I don't intend to do however, is take them back to the group.  I think they have had enough of them and anyway I promised something a bit more upbeat next time. 

No comments: