Sunday 22 July 2012

New Years Resolutions at 6 (ish) months....

In December, as part of my KickStart Workshop I wrote some resolutions that would take me a step nearer to becoming the writer I wanted to be (and for whom I had written a book blurb)  see:  http://theonlyconsequence.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-min=2011-01-01T00:00:00Z&updated-max=2012-01-01T00:00:00Z&max-results=50

Ok, so I don't appear to be the Poet Laureate, but I do seem to have written quite a bit of poetry this year.  I also think that the poetry I have written is an improvement on the poetry I have written previously.   I haven't as yet started on my chick lit novel (as stated in my blurb) but I haven't ruled out starting it sometime soon. 

However, my son means the world to me and I am conscious that the time I spend with him at the moment is time that I won't have back.  I have learnt over the last year or so that it is important to fill your life with only the things that really matter; things that bring you enjoyment and pleasure!  Writing and sharing my poetry with others does give me pleasure.  It also acts as therapy! 

I feel that easing the pressure off myself to succeed as a writer has certainly helped.  Whereas previously I found myself getting more and more stressed at having not written, I do feel that now I am more likely to feel happy when I do write something and just shrug off when I don't.  This attitude actually makes writing easier!!
Although I have yet to 'Attend a Workshop on Writing Poetry' I don't feel the need so much at the moment.  I am happy writing my own style.  What I do aim to do in the second half of the year however, is to actually read more poetry.  To this aim I am glad I have become a member of the Pimento Poets, which gives me chance to hear other poetry being read aloud.

I did resolve to enter at least one competition a month in 2012.  This has not happened. I don't see this as really being an indicator of whether or not I am a good poet; rather whether or not I feel the competition is any good.  I have stuck to the resolution of taking a new piece of writing to every meeting though and have not bored members with renditions of old poems (as other members are sometimes found doing).

I did plan to 'Develop a House Style for Myself'.   This resolution remains on the 'To Do' list.  Unfortunately I am still struggling to allocate time to my writing.  Time needs to be grabbed when it can.  It's a lovely sunny afternoon outside but I know I need to spend the time while Jamie sleeps to catch up on my writing tasks and sort through the huge piles of paper that quickly accumulate, or I may go mental!!

My fifth resolution was to Everyday write something or do something that moves me towards the writer I want to be.  I continue to write both my blogs on at least a weekly basis, I try to read as much as I can - fiction, non-fiction as well as bedtime stories,  I subscribe to two writing magazines, I attend three writing groups on a regular basis, I am still inspired to write the odd Haiku and / or poem to describe my day, and I do feel that everyday I am moving towards a better writer - if only in my head.  And all of this while working part time and raising a three year old!!

No comments: