Tuesday 3 July 2012

Observation, Observation, Observation

Over the past six months I have returned to my old passion of photography.  After attending a course in December I (we) purchased a Digital SLR camera.  A few weeks ago I attended another - more advanced - workshop.

I feel that photography has a lot in common with the writing process.  It's all about composition and finding something that readers will love as much as you do.  Its also about observation...

I found an article in an old edition (November 2011) of Writing Magazine (www.writers-online.co.uk) by Tarja Moles, called Take A Good Look.  She starts off with; 'Paying attention to your surroundings can help you find new ideas.  Exploring places or watching how people behave can reveal information that you can't find in books.  Sensory details, in particular, become uncovered during observation.'

She goes onto say; 'Observation is more than just looking at things.  Using all of your senses and combining sights, sounds, smells, tastes and touch can give you a deeper understanding of a place, culture and society.'

So, am off now with my notebook, pen and my camera.


No comments: