Thursday 30 August 2012

Lindum Scribes here!!

A few months ago, at a meeting of the Lindum Scribes, it was decided that there would not be an August meeting as there would be so few members to attend and it would not be worthwhile paying the venue.  At this time I volunteered my garden; saying we had a lot of space and, as long as there weren't too many people, I would be able to accomodate.  I was expecting 7 of us but in the end there was a nice 6 to sit around my dining table.

The meeting went ahead as usual, with the usual Chairman and each attendee reading out their work.  One of the attendees was an original member (as she likes to tell anyone who will listen) had just returned after a spell in hospital.  It was really nice to see her fit and well again.  However, this feeling was short lived as she totally dominated the evening.  I read one of my poems and, rather than the members discussing what they thought, she jumped in on an entitrely different subject and I sat there quite deflated.

After the evening I am afraid to say I felt very upset.  This was (one of) the reasons I left last time.  I remember going to meetings and spending far too long discussing TV programs etc.  My time is so precious now and I attend groups for feedback on my writing!  I know this has been discussed at Poison Pens and it was felt there was too much gossip there, but at least that is writing related.  I had expected an intellectual evening, sat around my dining table, but the reality turned out to be far from that!!

I did write an email to the Chairman expressing my views, who said she would discuss this with the other committee membners.  She had noticed what had been going on but she herself was feeling less than well.  The member in question can be a very difficult character.  She complained during the meeting that the committee did not have her correct email address.  I suspect she had not actually sent it around.  But the group cannot continue to let her get away with her interruptions or there will not be any time left for anything else.

Fingers crossed, this does not happen again.  If it does, I am afraid I may have to think seriously about my membership.  It costs me £24 a year and I need to ensure that it is a valuable use of my money and my time. 

No comments: