Thursday 15 November 2007

How much factual information should you put in?

Today I have reached the grand total of 18,377 words. I need another 10,000 by Saturday night to be on track for 50,000 by the end of November!!

Stopped today to think about places and where my characters are going - literally. My question to you (and I have sent it to a number of writing friends) is:
I have been told not to give names to characters who aren’t important as people think they are important if given a name. What about places? In my novel I have a woman who leaves the home she shares with her husband and goes back to her place of birth. This is the village that is important and so I have named it (it does exist!). However, do I need to give the place she has come from a name? I see it as a big city but I have not described it other than her living in a new house on a housing estate. How much detail is needed? Ta

1 comment:

Rod Duncan said...

I don't think there are any 'rules' for this kind of thing. And I don;t think you should worry too much about it at this stage - not when you are writing 50,000 words in a month!

I do think readers treat place names differently from character names. A named character will be assumed to be of some importance. A named place less so. And referring to place names - although it is perhaps extranious information - does hint at authenticity. I wouldn't give the names of all the streets, mind.

That's my take on it, anyway. I'd be interested in what other people have to say on this question.