Thursday 3 April 2008

A Novel in a Year ??

Yesterday I read Louise Doughty's; A Novel in a Year which says the following about how long writing a novel should take: Your novel will take you as long as it takes you, she says, but specifically; you are looking at around three years from start to finish. Year One is when you will get started, gather material, make notes, plan, write some scenes. In Year Two, you will despair, put it aside, come back to it think you are wasting your time and then realize you want to go on anyway. Year Three is when the real work of rewriting and honing will begin.

Well, I can honestly say I am in the final year, but obviously this is when the real work takes place!! What you are asking yourselves is; How much has she really written? The answer is almost certainly Not Enough. But, its more than I had written before October and I'm not giving up yet!!

Today is the first day of the rest of my novel.

No comments: