Saturday 4 September 2010

Book Recommendation

Still proud of myself as I have continued to be creative all week. And I have just finished reading a wonderful feel good book: The Beach Hut by Veronica Henrywww.veronicahenry.co.uk/

I once read that you should never start a novel with a description of the weather
(www.nytimes.com/2001/07/16/arts/writers-writing-easy-adverbs-exclamation-points-especially-hooptedoodle.html) but it works here. I can honestly say I was hooked from the start. And finished it within the week; still finding time for a small bit of writing and I even cleaned the fridge and microwave! Fingers crossed my commitment continues.

I bought the book following my first real interview in about 10 years. I gave myself a 7 out of 10 (but someone else got an 8!) and then went off to Waitrose for something to celebrate with - a few bottles, a pressie for Jamie and a quick scan over the bookshelf. I look into my basket and find I have bought something other than my usual crime. I think it is since having Jamie; I don't want to hear about all the nasty things people do to each other. I hardly watch the news now and I don't often buy a paper - unless its job day!

So, what does this all mean in terms of my writing? Now that the juices are flowing again, I am going to seriously think about planning / writing a feel good (fiction) book of my own. I hope this doesn't sound like I think it will be easy. As I read The Beach Hut I was aware of how good a writer Veronica must be; to enchant her readers so they can't put it down. Now, where to start? Perhaps re-read the book with a more critical eye?

But first, I have this months issues of Writers Magazine and Writers News....and a few competitions to enter in the next week or so!

No comments: