Monday 8 October 2012

Professional Writer At Last?


As readers of this blog know, in January I ran a workshop for The Lindum Scribes entitled  Kickstart Your Writing Year, see: http://theonlyconsequence.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/kickstart-your-writing-year-workshop.html).

In April I sent a short email to the Editor of Writers' News and Writing Magazine asking if he would be interested in an article based on this workshop.  He replied a week later asking for me to flesh out the idea a bit - just a couple of sentences about what each section would cover.  Four days later I sent a breakdown of the 5 sections of the workshop / article as requested.

I never heard anything back, so in August I sent an email requesting feedback on why I didn't get the gig.  I didn't hear anything back and was about to write a blog entry entitled; Polite Rejection? when I received the following email:   Hello Jo, Apologies that I've left you languishing in the slushpile so long. I would like to go ahead with this piece please, if you're still up for it. Around 1,800 words?  and then he mentioned money!!
 
I received this email last Tuesday while on holiday at Butlins.  We came back on Friday night and I have spent all weekend trying to write a decent article.  As I had initially written everything down prior to the workshop, and had written up all the information following the workshop for this blog, I did feel I had enough information to work with and was pleased with the result which I sent this morning.  Although he asked for 1800 words, I submitted just over 1900.  This was because I had also added a strap line and information about myself.  I wasn't sure of any guidelines to follow but I did have the latest edition of Writing Magazine so I analysed a couple of articles for style.
 
Wish me luck!!

No comments: