Sunday 31 October 2010

Write a Novel in a Month / NaNoWriMo

As you can see by the badge at the side of my blog I have at least signed up to NaNoWriMo this year. In November 2007 I attempted to write a novel in a month and failed. http://theonlyconsequence.blogspot.com/2007/12/excuses-excuses.html and in the intervening years I have had a few excuses as to why I have not even started. This year I am going to have another go....

The aim is to write 50,000 words in 30 days. That's about 1,700 words a day!!

One of the founders of NaNoWriMo - Chris Baty - wrote the book No Plot? No Problem! A High-velocity, Low-stress Way to Write a Novel in 30 Days. There's a phrase that he uses, especially if you are trying to get the first draft down, which is 'exuberant imperfection'. He talks about how the words on the page that you've written should be like wild beasts and that you're trying to run away from them as fast as possible and getting to the next ones.

This is discussed in Writing Magazine November 2010 www.writingmagazine.co.uk/ The article (by Sally Jenkins) goes onto say; 'Forward planning is key. Try briefly sketching out your novel. Think about how it might start, who the characters are, any major plot twists and where the story is going.'

I have been thinking about a Chick-lit, positive, feel-good book, because that's what I feel people need and (hopefully) want in the current climate. I have read a teenage girly novel and an older love story / chick lit and I think I have the start of an idea.....

The trouble is I need to start writing TOMORROW!!

No comments: