Wednesday 2 January 2013

Last Years Resolutions..... (2012)

Last year I made 5 resolutions as part of the workshop I led for the Lindum Scribes.

These were to:
Develop a House Style for myself by the end of January 2012
Attend a workshop on writing poetry in 2012

Enter at least one competition a month in 2012
Take a new piece of writing to every meeting of The Lindum Scribes in 2012
Every day write something or do something that moves me towards the writer I want to be

Unfortunately, I wasn't entirely successful, in that I didn't enter as many competitions as I said I would and I didn't actually attend all the meetings, but I do feel 2012 helped me to concentrate on what I wanted out of my writing (and my life generally!).  I did concentrate on my poetry in 2012 and learnt that it is very subjective as to whether people actually like it or not; which makes it difficult for others to offer criticism.  As such, I left one writing group and joined another.  It was also for this reason I decided against attending a poetry workshop.  I write my own poetry and I don't feel the need at this stage, to think too much about the actual process of writing poetry.  Somehow that takes away the beauty of it.  I did however, attend a workshop on writing non-fiction, which has helped me to focus on my resolutions for 2013.....

No comments: