Monday 7 January 2008

Back to Work...

Today was the first day back at work (as a writer). Being the first day back after the Christmas break meant I did less than I should. I spent a lot of time as if I was back working in an office; tidying my desk, organising my drawers, reading emails, taking down the decorations from before the break and generally catching up with gossip and organising my birthday night(s) out.

I did get time to read; How to Write Damn Good Fiction by James N. Frey. He has an interesting stance on time slippage and writers block, and suggests in order to avoid them, we should look at writing the way a bricklayer looks at his job i.e. he can't turn up one day and say he's got bricklayers block and won't be working!! Writing is a job. It takes time and effort, the same as any other. Set yourself production goals. Make the decision that you will never be caught in the trap of non-production.

My other displacement activity this weekend has been the February editions of Writers News and Writing Magazine so that adds 'catching up with the post' to the activities filling my first day back at work.

No comments: