Thursday 31 January 2008

Writing A Synopsis….

…requires you to simultaneously know everything that’s going to happen in your story and be able to strip 90% of it away to leave only the most important details and to them sum that up in a fluid and engaging way.

You have to be able to show that you have the technical and imaginative skill to produce an interesting and marketable book with well-rounded characters and a logical and believable plot.


I think I have just about finished my synopsis for the Debut Dagger competition. I am going to take it to my good friend (and Editor) Liz tomorrow to see what she thinks. I got all hot and bothered yesterday after showing it to my partner. He came back with question after question. The trouble was, I had tried to put everything in. I have gone through and weeded out the ‘extras’ that are not specifically related to the plot but were more ‘incidentals.’ I think / hope this makes it sharper.

No comments: