Friday 11 January 2008

Crime Writers Association Debut Dagger 2008

Last year the closing date for entries for the Debut Dagger (www.thecwa.co.uk) was the end of April, so this year I had anticipated finishing the novel first before working on a super synopsis and polishing my opening 3000 words. However, the closing date has been brought forward to the 15th February which means I have only 5 weeks to write the said Synopsis and polish the first 3000 words. As I have simply been writing with only a brief sketch of a plot, I now find myself in a position of having to sit down and decide what actually happens in the end. Up until this point I have been taking the story wherever it wants to go. Its amazing what can pop into your head as you sit typing. Is it a sort of hypnotic trance? I know its not just me as I remember seeing Stephen Booth at Ottakers (as was) in Lincoln who said that often when a character knocks on a door, even he isn’t sure who is going to answer!! So, I am afraid the actual process of writing has stopped for a few days while I thrash out WhoDunnit!! But now that I have decided on my villain I can't help smiling as I work out all the little red herrings and clues that need to be placed carefully about my plot.

No comments: