Tuesday 4 February 2014

Rule Number Six: Create Your Own Space

As I have said previously about putting distractions out of sight (Rules 2 & 4), I also feel that sometimes creating your own personal piece of heaven within your life of chaos can often temp the muse in.

I know you read about authors who sit at the kitchen table while their spouse talks about their day and their 4 children run around, screaming and shouting at them, and they still get 1000 words done, but I think that is very rare.  And are they any good words or do they then get deleted by a keen editor?

This might require some delegation (Rule 5) but try and find some space to call your own; even if it IS the kitchen table - only cleared of plates - replaced with your computer, pen, notebook or whatever you use....

I think peace and quiet is a must.  Unless, that is, you are wanting to write about a particular time in your life and then I feel that music from that era may be necessary - it works for me at least.  Music can also help to generate ideas when you need inspiration or are stuck, but perhaps only gentle instrumental for when you are actually in the process of writing....

I like to work with a scented candle on the table.  Not sure why it works, but it does.  Someone once recommended having one in an article and at first I thought it was a bit barmy, but tried it and I like it.  Perhaps it takes me to another level - a hint of meditation while looking at the flame perhaps?  Or it might just be the a nice smell...

Remember; its all about what works for YOU!

No comments: